How to make a formal complaint

If it has not been possible to solve your problem at a local level you can make a formal complaint to our service. 

You should make a complaint as soon as possible.  The time frame for making a complaint is within 12 months of the issue or within 12 months of becoming aware of the issue.

You can send your written complaint by post to:              

Patient Advice & Liaison Service
Tallaght University Hospital
Dublin 24
D24 NR0A

Or email us your written complaint to:

What do you need to include in your complaint:

  • Your name, contact details and hospital medical record number if known.
  • A postal address
  • Your email address and phone number
  • A summary of the issues of complaint – see further detail of what this summary should include below:

o What happened?
o Where did it happen?
o When did it happen?
o Who was involved?
o What is your desired outcome?

  • If you are writing a complaint on behalf of a patient please be advised that we will require a signed consent form from the patient granting permission for you to make a complaint.

If you are unhappy with the hospitals response you can request a review through the Office of the Ombudsman – further details on this process can be found on their Ombudsman Website

The link to the Ombudsman for Children website can be found here: Ombudsman for Children

If you would like support, independent of the Hospital when giving your feedback then you can contact Health Complaints. They can provide you with information on how to contact independent advocacy services. You can contact the organisation through this link.

Patient Advocacy Service
The National Patient Advocacy Service is an independent, free and confidential service that provides information and support to people who want to make a complaint about an experience they have had in a public hospital. The Service can help users make a formal complaint about a hospital experience. They have a phone line, online contact form and information on this website to help people when they want to make a formal complaint. You can contact them on 0818 293 003 or contact them via this link.